Frequently Asked Questions
Allison Patel Photography captures priceless moments for people who cherish genuine images of life. Portrait sessions are $175 for up to an hour and a half of time together, and large gift prints start at $75 for a 16×20″ print. Gallery canvas wrap prints start at $75 for an 8×8 or 8×10. My favorite gallery canvas wrap print – a 20×24″ masterpiece that arrives ready to hang – is $250. Because APP is a genuine, fun and creative experience bent on capturing lifelong memories, I am committed to helping you every step of the way, from helping you decide on your finished product goal, to the session details and ordering session two weeks later, to delivering your finished product – I make sure you’re cared for every step of the way. Most portrait clients can find that they’ll spend approximately $500 for my services and products. Your experience may be less or more than that, depending on your needs.
- What are your portrait prices? Portrait sessions range from $150 for an hour session to $200 for a two-hour session. Large gift prints start at $75 for a 16×20 print. Gallery canvas wrap prints start at $75 for an 8×8″ or 8×10″. My favorite gallery canvas wrap print – a 20×24″ masterpiece that arrives ready to hang – is $250. Most portrait clients can find that they’ll spend approximately $500 for my services and products. Your experience may be less or more than that, depending on your needs. I also have a “First Year” package, specifically and specially created for the first year of a baby’s life. Find all of the info on the First Year package here.
- Do you have a studio? Allison Patel Photography is not a studio-based company. I find studios to be dreadfully stiff and boring (but that’s simply my opinion). I prefer to use the world as our backdrop! I will come to you, either to your home or to a location of your choice, and spend time with you and your family in an environment where you feel comfortable and can be yourselves.
- Do you travel outside of the Richmond area, and is there an extra charge? I do travel! I love traveling, and am more than willing to come to you (or a destination of your choosing – Family portraits at the Grand Canyon!) for your session or event. I do have an extra charge for travel - contact me and we can discuss specifics and create a custom travel quote.
- What do you recommend we wear to our session? First and foremost – go with an outfit that will match your personality. Not a stripes person? Don’t wear stripes to your session. You’ll never purchase the prints or share the photos, because the person in the photo doesn’t look like “you.” A safe way to dress yourself and your fellow photo subjects is to dress in something that makes you feel comfortable and confident. If you don’t feel comfortable and confident, you’ll look like you don’t feel comfortable and confident in your photos. If you’re looking for something more specific, try this blog post about dressing yourself and your family for your session.
- What should we bring with us? Props aren’t always necessary, but are definitely not out of the question! If you have an item that is special to you, that you would like included in your photos, please feel free to bring it. We will discuss your particular needs and wants in detail prior to your session, so that we are finding the perfect location and using the best items in the shoot that will support the personality of you and your family. If we’re outside, you may want to bring a blanket or quilt to sit on (I have this covered if you don’t have one); if you have young children, it may help to bring a toy or fun activity that will distract them in case they get antsy. Let me know what you’re thinking!
- When should I schedule my maternity session? Maternity photos are ideally shot while you are 7-8 months along. This gives us the optimal baby bump, while giving some cushion in case your baby comes early. If you’re pregnant, contact me today to schedule a session – I typically book a month or two in advance! Also, don’t forget to check out the First Year package – which includes a maternity session as part of the package.
- How do payments work? The signed Photographer/Client Agreement and 50% of the session fee is due at the time of booking as a spot holder to secure your appointment. The remaining 50% of your session fee will be due at your session. Full payment for any products ordered (gift prints, canvas wrap prints, albums, etc) is due at the ordering session, typically scheduled two weeks after your photo shoot. I accept Paypal, credit cards and cash (please don’t mail cash – it’s not safe!).
- Do you do refunds? For sessions, if we have to cancel due to an emergency or unexpected circumstances, or if we find that the session is interrupted mid-way by unforeseen circumstances, we will reschedule, again at a time that works for both of us. If, during our session, we were unable to grab THE photo you were looking for (the baby wouldn’t stop crying, the toddler wouldn’t take her finger out of her nose, I dropped my camera in the river) or the whole experience was a complete and utter failure, we can reschedule the session and try again. Unfortunately, because each product is custom made, I can’t give refunds on the finished prints, albums, or canvases. It is my goal to make the entire experience as wonderful as possible, so please speak up along the way if there’s something I’m missing or a question you need answered.
- Can I post my session photographs on my own blog or Facebook? Sure! Just make sure they come from the “Internet Ready” folder on the disc or thumb drive you receive. Posting those images (with my logo on them) helps prevent your images from being stolen and used without your permission. We want to make sure your and your family’s privacy is protected online! Feel free to use those images as your Facebook profile picture or in your blog. You’ll also receive a set of 2-3 Facebook cover images, cropped to Facebook’s specifications, free with your order.